Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Lives of Others

With mid-terms behind me, I was able to watch The Lives of Others this weekend. Scary stuff. The fact that the Stasi could bug an entire apartment in 20 minutes is mind boggling. It's cool that the staunch Stasi guy developed a conscious in the end and that's all I'll say. Well done and so worth the Academy Award.

Now, if you want to see a prime example of French colonialism, check out The Battle of Algiers (yet another movie rec. for another class).

3 comments:

Adam said...

The Battle of Algiers was a required watch in my military history class at West Point and was required again at military intel school. I had the opportunity to watch it a second time focusing on different aspects of the movie, watching it instead from the point of view of the insurgent fighters instead of from a simply historical view. Also, I was able to watch it was an Algerian friend of mine this time. I hope you get as much out of the movie as we did as a class.

Not to ruin the movie, but in the end, it becomes apparent that there is no military solution to a purely political problem...I wonder if the same conclussion will be reached any time soon in regards to the current US involvement?

jodmeister said...

Adam...I'm curious if your opinions of the situation changed from viewing it as a military cadet and then again with a friend whose ancestors may have lived the battle. Any paradigm shifts on your point of view?

As for the current situation, I agree with your question. I would not to be the one who has to make that decision!!

moville said...

Adam, Jodmeister, have either of you read Alastair Horne's book," Algeria, A Savage War of Peace?"