Thursday, March 29, 2007

A small bit of justice for My Lai massacre

According to the BBC on this day in 1971, the Charlie Company leader, Lt. William Calley, was indicted for his part in the My Lai massacre. Though several were guilty, he was the only one charged. He was originally sentenced to life w/labor, ending up serving house arrest in Fort Benning, GA., freed on bail in 1974 and paroled after serving about a third of his term. Two weeks ago today was the 39th anniversary of the My Lai massacre.

Again, it was a small bit of justice and I'm sure the relatives of the My Lai villagers wouldn't see it as justice at all.

2 comments:

moville said...

It's a pretty dubious case...i suspect that kind of thing happened over and over again, so that the culprit's punishment was kind of symbolic. I think the verdict had very little to do with justice...

german said...

does anyone know if he is till alive? maybe the world court would like a crack at him for being a war criminal. seems fair to me since he was in charge.